Nov 19 2015
Going on a Free Cruise
A free cruise?! Are you serious?! We might be geeking out right now that we just got our free room on this ship, and yes, we upgraded just a bit to get a room with a deck! We get to hit up the Carribean for free!! If that isn’t exciting, I don’t know what is! I never thought this would be possible, I just started this venture because I felt uncomfortable in my own skin….how times have changed! ??
Being able to stay fit and help other people do the same has been an unexpected blessing to our fam. This trip is just one of the rewards we get for paying it forward. We’ve found something that works for us so we share it and get one vacation a year to celebrate it all! I literally earned this free cruise by helping others in their health and fitness journeys. So, by doing what I love, helping others with their goals, seeing the excitement of success and I get a free cruise for doing that……thank you very much, I’ll take it. I literally helped 3-5 women a month throughout this last year and loving it!
Still seems like a dream! ?
The thing my husband and I love the most, is that we get to hang out with people with the same passion for helping others on this free cruise! Most the other people going are in the same “boat” as us and have just been helping 3-5 people a month! And, we are starting to have some of our team join us! We are so excited for this adventure that is happening in early spring of next year! On our way to see some of our local team right now and then a bday party with friends later. Kid free Saturday in the works.
Nov 17 2015
*****I am looking for 10 women who have 10-30 LBS to lose and be part of our fitness challenge.*****
The Holidays are here and I believe we can not only show our children moderation during this time but also get a head start on 2016 with some determination in our minds. We have Thanksgiving, turkey, stuffing, jello, pie, snacks, and most of us have multiple parties to go to. Then only less than 30 days later is Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! It is crazy how much food and junk we consume in just these two holidays. Then, to top it all off we have New Years! Oh and I forgot to mention the dreaded stockings….where all things bad for you reside! Trying to be a good example for our kids is soooo hard to do! Joining a fitness challenge could be the best thing you could do for yourself and your family!
Do you want to feel comfortable in your own skin and confident every time you get dressed? I am looking for women who are serious about making changes in their eating and fitness. Not just hoping to change but to really want to put in the daily habits to change. This fitness challenge is specifically catered to women who are short on time, need quick results and a support system with other women shooting for the same goals. It’s all laid out for you with a calendar and meal guide.
It is working so very well for my current challengers that I want to do another group. Their transformations (check out one here) are absolutely awesome, whether it be in inches around the waist or weight. What would your ideal number be? Start imagining your new self now!!!
Come join our fitness challenge! Email me at [email protected]
or comment below with “I’m interested”
Nov 17 2015
A Healthy Meal Replacement. This is what Beachbody claims with a nutritional dose of 70 plus ingredients, which include 23 vitamins and minerals. But, what about the Shakeology Ingredients? This Shakeology is more than just a “protein shake”. Throughout the following, we will take an in depth look at all of the Shakeology Ingredients listed on the bag, and examine what they do for you whether good or bad.
First, here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to understanding the Shakeology Ingredients:
- We will be using the nutrition label of the Chocolate Flavor Shakeology ingredients (click here to see the nutrition label). I want to use the “whey” based blend, because it is very popular and if you remove the “whey”, you have the vegan blend, with additional vegan proteins to replace the “whey”. (I personally have the vegan blend, click here to see the nutrition label.
- We are going to start with the ingredients after the typical nutrition facts (calories, carbs, protein, and vitamins). This means we will begin with Folic acid and Biotin. We will then dig into the Proprietary Superfoods, along with the “other ingredients” listed on the label.
Remember, this post is a little unique. Usually I am all about family, workouts, health and nutrition, goal setting, but I really want you to know about the Shakeology Ingredients. My goal is to help you understand what the ingredients are and how (and IF) they can benefit you. As you may know from some of my other posts I am gluten-free. I have been drinking Shakeology for over 3 years now, as well as my husband. I also had it throughout my pregnancy with my son daily. I proceeded to have it throughout the next two years while I was breastfeeding my son. Not once did I have any side effects that were negative. We now all have it daily. My husband, daughter, son and myself. So, let’s take a look and break down the Shakeology Ingredients.
Shakeology Ingredients – The daily Ingredients
These are sort of “daily ingredients”, they are still hard to understand. These are nutritional ingredients are so important to have every single day. You may have seen these before in other foods, but here is what they do and why they are important for your health.
- Folic Acid (50% of DV): This ingredient can also be referred to as Vitamin M or B9. Folic acid has many benefits including: Stroke reduction, Sperm Quality (in males, helps reduce chromosomal defects in sperm), Macular Degeneration (In Fact, a study was completed where women have reduced potential for degeneration by 34.7%).
- Biotin (30% of DV): Also know as Vitamin H. Biotin’s primary purpose is to help break down fatty cells and help metabolism (fat burner, which we all need!)
- Chromium (50% of DV): Chromium enhances the production of insulin in your body. Insulin helps with the metabolism and storage of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in your body. This in turn can help regulate potential for diabetes and speed up that metabolism.
- Molybdenum (40% of DV): Similar to phosphorus, this ingredient helps strengthen tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. A great reason to have this ingredient in your kids diet as well!
- Pantothenic acid (50% of DV): This ingredient (Vitamin B5) helps with oxygen utilization efficiency. What does that mean? It helps fuel oxygen to your muscles, which reduces muscle soreness and aches.
- Zinc (40% of DV): this is a great ingredient and supplement you should always have. Zinc is beneficial for your immune system. Better than that, it helps decrease the acceleration of skin and muscle aging. Not only that, it can be beneficial for your digestive trac (with proven abilities to reduce and eliminate diarrhea episodes, according to Bhutta, 2000).
- Phosphorous (25% of DV): Having this ingredient daily can help strengthen tooth enamel. This leads to stronger teeth and prevention of early tooth decay.
- Iodine (35% of DV): This ingredient is widely known to help with your thyroid. But not only that, iodine is beneficial for breast, stomach, brain, and other important tissues. Not having enough (or having TOO much) can cause problems for these vital tissues (source here).
- Magnesium (20% of DV): magnesium helps regulates blood sugar, and keeps heart rhythm running, strong bones, and your immune system in check.
- Copper (40% of DV): not having enough copper in your diet can lead towards deficiencies such as osteoporosis, infections, and glucose problems. Copper ingests into your liver and spreads through your bloodstream to regulate your blood sugar and benefit your bones and glucose levels significantly.
- Manganese (100% of DV): one of the awesome Shakeology ingredients that helps your body properly digest and collaborate with other ingredients like zinc, copper, and iron better. Manganese has been seen helping treat things like: diabetes, Schizophrenics, Rheumatoid arthritis, epilepsy, asthma, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, (find out more here). A powerful ingredient that gives you 100% of your daily value in one serving of Shakeology.
As you can see, even the “daily” foundation of Shakeology Ingredients are very much needed, fast food won’t get you those! So the big question is: Why can’t we just eat healthy and get these? You can! The only thing you should consider is the price. To match the serving of all of these ingredients in everyday food will cost you more than a $4.33 serving of Shakeology.
Next we will explore the Best Superfoods. We will delve deeper into the specific Proprietary Shakeology ingredients.
Shakeology Ingredients – The Best Superfoods
- Proprietary Protein Blend: Proteins are important for mental clarity, lean muscle building, improving skin and hair, and reducing cravings. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Brown Rice, Pea.
- Proprietary Super-Fruit/Antioxidant Blend: promotes antioxidant support for a healthy immune system, heart, and optimal blood pressure. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Lun Hao Guo, Pomegranate, Rose Hips.
- Proprietary Super-Green/Phytonutrient Blend: This is an interesting blend of the Shakeology ingredients, mainly because of what it can do. It detoxifies! The liver, kidneys, and blood get detoxification benefits that restore health and vitality. Superfoods in this blend include: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass.
- Proprietary Adaptogen Blend: this helps protect the body from stress, supports the immune system, and balances the endocrine system. Superfoods that support this blend include: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Schisandra, Tulsi (Holy Basil).
- Proprietary Pre- and Probiotic/Digestive Enzyme Blend: helps increase nutrition absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion. Superfoods in this blend include: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain.
Shakeology Ingredients – The “Other” Ingredients
Ingredients to any foods are good to look at on a normal basis. You never know what lies beneath until you turn over to the nutrition label and look at the bottom. Let’s look at the “other” ingredients listed on the Shakeology bag, and what they mean, and if they are bad for you.
- Natural Sweetener Blend (Non-GMO Fructose, Stevia): this is where the 6 grams of sugar in each serving come from. But unlike other “diet” and health shakes that used the cursed “Aspartame”, Shakeology has NO aspartame and uses Stevia. Stevia is found in sunflower family of sweetleaf and sugarleaf. The sweetness ends up being 300 times more sweet than artificial flavorings. The best part is, it controls diet by giving you less carbs and less chance of disease and study-proven cancer like Aspartame.
- Natural Chocolate Flavor: this means that the flavor of chocolate is derived from a cacao plant, which produces natural cocoa.
- Xanthan Gum: this ingredient is in a good number of food we eat (along with Guar Gum). This is basically a laxitive ingredient that helps with food thickening. Find out more about this ingredient here.
- Guar Gum: according to Wikipedia, this gum can help with digestion and regularity. It has a significant amount of soluble fiber which helps promote this effort, and is used for most foods to thicken appearance. Again, I couldn’t find anything too risky on this ingredient either.
Shakeology Ingredients – Good or Bad?
So here we are. You have now been given a pretty sufficient breakdown of the Shakeology Ingredients. They are not perfect as is nothing. As a gluten-free mom of two, this is the best meal replacement supplement I have found. I stand by it, not just because I am a coach, but because my family has seen so many benefits over the last 3 years. Being gluten-free has gotten easier as our culture has found so many allergies relating to it, Shakeology has never affected me negatively.
It is gluten-free, making it the best possible option for my entire family. Personally, we prefer the Vegan Chocolate Shakeology or the Tropical Vegan Shakeology. I prefer to get my animal based protien through other sources than whey. This is my personal opinion only.
Getting all of these ingredients in your daily diet would cost you a whole lot of money. It would be incredibly expensive because many of the items must be bought in bulk and you would have to buy them in their perishable form. By going through and finding each of the 70 plus ingredients it would be around $1256.40 per month, at $41.88 per day. One serving of Shakeology is around $4.33 or $129.95 per month.
If you are like me and are serious about your health, take the first step and talk with me. You do not do this on your own. I am a fitness coach, a person that genuinely loves helping others. I want you to reach your goals. I want to walk along side you through the good and the bad. So, take the first step and fill out some basic info here, and let’s begin this incredible journey towards getting in the best shape of our lives!
Nov 04 2015
What is a Goal?
What is a goal? What are goals? According to Business Dictionary a goal is: “An observable and measurable end result having one or more objectives to be achieved within a more or less fixed timeframe.”
What is a goal to me? Well, it sure wasn’t the definition above in my life. I would think about something and hope that I would accomplish it. Now, I live by goals and my number one is getting my workout in daily. It is a non-negotiable! Ahhhh, happy vibes are here! Sometimes I dread starting a workout but when it’s over…..my day is set. Nothing can compare to the feeling of a good workout. The rush of endorphins!!
When I first started setting goals for myself, I wasn’t fully sure it would work. I had the picture of what I wanted in my mind (the vision). I had a plan but after two kids, you just never know what your body will do. Plus, I was 35 and age does become a factor at some point and I was super busy with two little’s who needed me lots.
I was talking with a client about how we want so much more for ourselves to be healthy for our kids and feel beautiful for our hubs. I think she said it better than I could have. Here’s what we had in common:
Goals: be toned, fit into my clothes better, feel confident.
What is a goal I am working on now? Owning my workouts. The feeling of accomplishing something that has been making me feel a little depressed for the last couple of years. That even when people tell me not to worry, it’s just part of getting older, and that I should just accept it. Instead of accepting it, I can look in the mirror and say I didn’t accept it. I conquered it! Getting older is not an excuse.
Fitness struggle: going to the gym and not knowing what I’m doing or if what I do will get me the results I want. Plus, the time it takes is too much sometimes.
Anxiety, depression, feeling overwhelmed, not having clear direction. All things I struggled with before. Some of them will still pop up depending on what’s going on in my life but overall it’s a ton better. It is and will continue to be my mission to share what’s worked for me.
There should be nothing keeping us from how we want to feel!! Make sure you know what is a goal and what you are going to do to accomplish it!
Nov 03 2015
Fit Couples Here We Come!
When on vacation, I see so many fit couples. When we were younger, we were in a different place in our health and fitness. We ate what we wanted, when we wanted, and didn’t think anything of it. We didn’t think of consequences. When you get into your early thirties, that doesnt’ work anymore!
Today as we leave for the farmers market with the kids (and we are weirdly excited to buy kale). I think back on the health journey we’ve been on the last three years. It started with the fear of having a second child… yeah, that’s kinda scary haha. But he realized that he would need to have more energy to help me and that means focusing on his health. I realized we were done having kids and I wanted to push myself beyond what I ever had before. To see what my strong mom body was capable of.
It was time to become one of these fit couples we had seen on the beach. Not really to look better, but to feel better and be healthy. I won’t lie though, it is really nice to feel better in your own skin, knowing that the decisions you have made are helping your body. It’s also really nice to fit in your clothes comfortably. We made a decision to have our super food smoothie daily, add fitness to our daily routine and (not just talk about doing it). We looked at the future progress it would bring not just the instant results. We made a decision and looked at the big picture. Oh and we cut out all fast food, soda, double batches of chocolate chip cookies and family size Papa Murphy’s pizza because those were our weakness. Sometimes you just have to say goodbye to things, right? Have to keep the goal and that vision of those fit couples in your mind.
I have to say I would have slacked more if it wasn’t for him and I bet he’d admit the same thing. We bounce ideas and frustrations off each other but we never quit. Quitting is not an option for us. We had quit too many times before and lost all the progress that was made. Consistency is key in those lifestyle changes. I love this man! Almost ten years of ups and downs but we manage to keep communication open and promise each other to keep striving to be our best.
So here we go, sharing our journey and inviting others to join. We love our team and clients like our second family. Our #fitfam. They keep us accountable and we get to grow and share together. Embracing our health today and thanking God for those hard times because those are the growth periods that help you push past. We are working on helping many more become fit couples, being comfortable in their own skin.
Nov 02 2015
Healthy Filling Snacks
Healthy filling snacks are not always easy to come by. If you have not tried these coconut chips, then maybe you should start now. 😉 I love clean treats that won’t make me feel terrible or super boated after I eat them. I am also gluten-free, so these work in that area too.
Some rules I have about what treats I eat that might help you:
1. Read the label!!! The least amount of ingredients, the better. If you’ve ever even looked at the back of a Quaker Oats bar for example, you’ll see way too many ingredients. So many of them are not needed or are damaging to our bodies.
2. Stay clear of lots of food coloring and artificial anything. Look for different brands that use better ingredients for the color.
3. Look for dark chocolate or dried fruits that taste sweet and are fulfilling but will still be a benefit and fuel your body. Trader Joe’s has some really great treats. These you can grab at Starbuck’s and Whole Foods. All three of these stores have a lot of different healthy filling snacks, these coconut chips are just one of my favorite. You can go check out these tasty little treats on their website.
When you are out and about, always take time to look at those nutrition labels. I like to reiterate this point because it is so important. The reason being, I forget to do it. It is crazy how companies will add in extra little ingredients, especially in snack foods. So I am extra careful when looking for healthy filling snacks. I want them to be as pure and as natural as possible. I also try to stock up on them when I can. Some of these types of snacks won’t get replenished all that often. So make sure to grab a few bags for the road. Thanks for taking the time to check out my tips, please feel free to share with me if you have any healthy filling snacks that you love!
Nov 01 2015
Creamy Garlic Dressing
It’s food prep day for a lot of us and a gluten-free dressing is the perfect option, better yet, creamy garlic dressing! I love spending just 1-2 hours on Sunday’s making simple foods to have on hand for the week. I am always looking for better ways to take care of my family. I am also always looking for gluten-free options. There is gluten in so much more than we think and I have felt the affects of not knowing I was eating gluten, when I actually was. One of the big culprits can be salad dressings. My husband went through a 21 Day cleanse back in 2012, called the The Ultimate Reset, and this little gem made it a lot easier for him. It called for a ton of salads and this was his dressing of choice.
Finding out I needed to go gluten-free during that time, I started going crazy on nutrition label reading. This one was about as simple as they come! I made it for him the first time and we were both in love. Shoot, my kids even love it! I never even thought about making a creamy garlic dressing, but this is the magic one! I have to give my husband credit for going through The Ultimate Reset. We actually gained an amazing amount of knowledge from those 21 days. So know that this creamy garlic dressing is absolutely healthy in every way and delicious. A great cookbook I use is Fixate. She is the creator of 21 Day Fix and has a ton of awesome recipes like this.
Here is one of my all time favorite homemade salad dressings:
Creamy Garlic Dressing Recipe:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3-5 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp honey or agave
Blend for 30 seconds or until well mixed. Store in refrigerator and warm to room temp to shake and serve. Makes 8-10 servings.
Great with a little balsamic as a combo dressing. I also have a lot of clients that do the workouts and meal plan with 21 Day Fix. This creamy garlic dressing is absolutely great to use with that program and pretty much for anything. It is vegan and if you buy organic, you can’t really get a more pure dressing. Enjoy!
Garlic Creamy Dressing Courtesy of The Ultimate Reset
Oct 24 2015
Nordstrom Rack Super Find
New #nikes from Nordstrom Rack are making me want to workout today.???? Matt snagged these, Nike Air Max 2015 shoes, for me and they were a steal!! My husband is the best at finding deals at Nordstrom Rack. Whether it is the main store or the Rack, he is always looking for deals. He wants me to feel good as I strive to do my best daily. It is so important to have support.
I worked at Nordstroms for over 8 years as a makeup artist. I love Laurie Mercier and was the counter manager when they first came to Seattle. I love everything about it. I love everything about Nordstroms, the lines they carry, the service, the training I was given. It is such a classy store in every sense of the word. It is what I pride myself over, I was trained by the best. Even the Nordstroms Cafe has the best food….and they have some healthy choices! One of my husband and my favorites is the NIÇOISE SALAD WITH SALMON! Click on the name to see the menu!
Whenever we go shopping, it usually revolves around a Nordstrom Rack. There is no better place for returns. My husband had a pair of jeans he had never worn, but we had removed the tags. We took them back and they accepted them and gave us a full cash refund!!
To be honest, I haven’t worked out much this week since I was nursing my strained neck (2 car accidents in a year) and my diet wasn’t as great as I wanted (late night peanut butter anyone?) but I was up this morning telling myself to just get it done! 30 minutes goes by so fast. New Nordstrom Rack, Nike Air Max workout shoes get me in the mode!
The compound effect of a daily routine adds up for the good but it can also add up for the bad. Review what your compounding effect is and tweak it if you aren’t going in the right direction. You deserve to look and feel your best ? Go check out a Nordstrom Rack!
Oct 03 2015
How To Better Yourself
I ask myself all the time, how to better yourself. My gorgeous friend Jessica has taught me so much about eating clean! We celebrated her baby girl due next month today and it got me thinking………??
This woman makes most things from scratch and it’s always beyond delicious. She also makes very healthy food this way. It is amazing how she makes something taste so good, that I have conceived as being “not very good.” Does she have the “time”? No, she is a full-time midwife, that busts her butt all the time helping other mothers, but she does it anyways because she appreciates quality food. She is someone I can look up to and strive to become!
When you really look at how long it takes to make things from scratch, I’ve realized it’s not as complicated as I used to think. It just takes a little extra planning. I also have to be creative and I have to stop making excuses. Over the last few years I have really gotten some staple recipes that my family loves.
Food doesn’t have to be fried, dipped, battered, and overly sweet to taste amazing. It doesn’t have to have a bunch of sugar or tons of salt. It doesn’t need “cream of….” anything! It for sure doesn’t have to have a bunch of dairy either, (though I won’t lie, I will never go without butter totally;)
It can be simple and fresh.
Sometimes it just helps to have someone make it look easy and you gain confidence in knowing that you too can create amazing things in a short amount of time. Thanks so much Jess for all that you do and all that you are! Baby Hazel is about to receive the best gift a child could have, her loving mother. Thank you for being such an amazing friend and for pouring so much love into my life. You are such a blessing! Remember, never stop learning how to better yourself.
Oct 01 2015
Gluten-Free Lunch Ideas
Being gluten-free, I am always looking for gluten-free lunch ideas. I am going to be consistently looking for more an more simple ideas, that you can buy while on the go. I find that almost anyone can make gluten-free lunch ideas at home….but what about at work or while out with the kids. Here is one I love!
Veggies are so hard to get in when life is crazy busy. We live by eating whatever is in front of us in this fast paced life. Fall ?and Winter❄ are so great for soup and you can hide tons of veggies in a yummy way. The other reason I love it? My kids will eat it! You can’t beat that! Finding food that my kids will eat that is healthy for them, on the go, is a win-win in my book.
This is a hearty veggie soup with kale, carrots, potatoes. Yum!!!!! It is at Metropolitan Market. This is one of my all time favorite grocery stores. They have all kinds of unique items. The market actually labels which soups are gluten-free. It is so nice to quickly jump in the store, pick up what I need and then pay and get back in the car, within five minutes.
Do be careful. A lot of the canned soups are not that healthy and can have hidden junk in them. Make sure to always read the labels. A lot of gluten-free items are made with quality ingredients, but I am seeing a trend of more and more that are not good. It seems like we can never get away from the junk! So, I will continually search for gluten-free lunch ideas.
Do you have a favorite “go to” soup? I would love to hear it!! This time a year, I start making them weekly. They are great to have for leftovers. Comment with a recipe of the one you can’t live without!