Dec 05 2015
Cobb Salad is great, the Hawaiian Cobb Salad is Amazing!
Hawaiian Cobb Salad
I’m not gonna lie, this Hawaiian Cobb Salad was to die for. It literally was the best Cobb Salad I have ever had. Trust me, I have had a lot of salads in my life! For some reason this one hit the mark more than others. I loved it beyond words! It really had a sweetness I had not tasted before. It was also super fresh, which really made it stand out! The lovely Anthony’s at Point Defiance is where this lovely food of heaven was served! It is a local favorite of my husband and mine. It is a beautiful setting, right on the water with views of the Olympics and Mt. Rainier. I would definitely recommend it!
Being gluten-free and eating out is tricky at times. I either order the fish, chicken or a salad. Sounds boring but actually it’s not so bad. Sure I miss a big fatty burger and bun but my body does not. It loves the salads. The leafy greens help in so many ways and try to eat two salads a day. This way I am getting a quality amount of fiber and it makes my feel fantastic.
Here is what is in a Hawaiian Cobb salad recipe. It was topped with:
- Celery (chopped small)
- Blue Cheese (just a tiny bit because it’s not technically gluten-free)
- Sweet herb dressing on the side
Embracing the beauty of salads has been huge for me! I actually wasn’t sure I wanted to try this one, because of the blue cheese and what not. But this was a date night and a cheat meal and it ended up being not only amazing but not very much of a cheat! A win-win in my book! This Hawaiian Cobb Salad really hit the spot!
Nov 30 2015
Hammer and Chisel! Join Us!
Hammer and Chisel is Almost Here!
Hammer and Chisel, a new program, launches in 3 days!!! Don’t wait to grab your partner and get your groove on before the new year! My husband and I are about to do this together!
Seriously though, rewind 5 yrs ago…we were always sick, ate family size Papa Murphy’s pizza’s and I would make us homemade chocolate chip cookies ( all in one night ?)! We didn’t think long-term about our health yet and we thought fitness and nutrition were two separate things. Well, he got serious while I was pregnant with our second baby and then I got serious. Now we’re both serious if you can’t tell by our faces!
Has it been easy? Nope! But we can finally say after all the arguments and discussions about who wants to workout when and who bought junk at the store ect ect ? we have a plan and we stick with it. The bonus is….we get to do some of them together. We will also be sticking to the meal plan, and yes it comes with containers to help you prep correctly!!!
Hammer and Chisel is Official Sagi Kalev and Autumn Calabrese teaming up to bring an amazing 30-40 minute workout you can do with limited equipment and space. We start Dec 14th and we are going to rock it through the Holidays. If you have to start late, that’s okay! At least grab your stuff before it sells out and have your plan!
What do we do from here? You comment below “I’m Interested” (as long as you’re not working with another coach) and we will add you to our group. You get first access to the challenge pack once it launches. Then we help you get started when the time is right for you! You can also email me at: [email protected]. ?
Nov 26 2015
Baked Sweet Potatoes and Garlic Aioli Mustard!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are quite possibly one of my favorite foods. I absolutely love them. Actually, my entire family absolutely loves them. My kids will actually ask for them. Are you kidding me?! Baked sweet potatoes? Who knew?! Well they are now a staple in our house. And what makes them the best ever, garlic aioli mustard from Trader Joe’s. This garlic aioli is a staple in our house. We will use it with meat, on sandwiches and with every kind of vegetable. It’s delicious.
Now, let us delve a bit deeper into why I love having family eat baked sweet potatoes. When looking at the benefits of vegetables and fruits I eat, I go to organicfacts.net. They have a ton of information on everything healthy. Some of the main areas that sweet potatoes help with are:
- Inflammation: Like the common potato, sweet potatoes also have anti-inflammatory properties. They do not belong to the same family as common potato. This is primarily due to the presence of beta-carotene, vitamin-C and magnesium. It is equally effective in curing internal and external inflammation.
- Asthma: Sweet potatoes are effective for curing congestion of the nose, bronchi and lungs, thereby giving relief from asthma. Its typical aroma helps in this property.
- Immune System: Being very rich in beta carotene, which is a major antioxidant, along with vitamin-C and B-complex vitamins, iron and phosphorus, sweet potatoes are excellent immune system boosters. They can defend your body from a wide variety of conditions and afflictions.
- Bronchitis: The concentration of vitamin-C, iron and other nutrients help to cure bronchitis. Sweet potatoes are believed to be capable of warming up the body, possibly due to the sweetness and other nutrients that impact body temperature. This property is also beneficial for people suffering from bronchitis, along with its powerful effect on congestion.
- Digestion: The fiber content of sweet potatoes is higher than common potatoes and they taste good too! When these two factors are combined with other minerals like magnesium, which is present in sweet potatoes, it makes an excellent facilitator for digestion. Sweet potatoes are easy to digest as well, since they mainly contain starch. They are soothing for the stomach and intestines, so you will avoid any difficulties of passing or digesting them.
- Cancer: Beta-carotene, the champion antioxidant and anticarcinogenic substance, is the pigment responsible for the color of the peel of the sweet potatoes. The beta carotene and vitamin-C contained in sweet potatoes are very beneficial for curing various types of cancer, mainly those of the colon, intestines, prostrate, kidneys and other internal organs.
- Arthritis: Beta-carotene, zinc,magnesium, and vitamin-B complex make sweet potatoes a hugely important food source for managing arthritis. The water where sweet potatoes are boiled can also be applied externally on joints to ease the associated pain of arthritis.
- Diabetes: Sweet potatoes are beneficial for diabetics. They are very effective in regulating blood sugar levels by helping the proper secretion and function of insulin. That does not mean that diabetics should eat them indiscriminately. The idea is that sweet potatoes can replace rice or carbohydrate intake as a healthier option.
- Water Balance: The fiber or roughage present in sweet potatoes helps the body retain water. This maintains water balance in the body, keeping your hydrated and your cells functioning efficiently.
- Stomach Ulcers: Sweet potatoes have a soothing effect on the stomach and the intestines. B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, beta carotene, potassium and calcium are all very effective in curing stomach ulcers. Moreover, the roughage in sweet potatoes prevents constipation and the resultant acid formation, thereby reducing the chance of ulcers. The anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of sweet potatoes also reduce the pain and inflammation of the ulcers.
- Weight Gain: This benefit is pretty awesome and my husband loves it when trying to bulk. Sweet potatoes are sweet, and they contain very quality amounts of complex starch, along with healthy vitamins, minerals and some proteins. Moreover, they are very easy to digest. So, they provide a lot of energy and are excellent bulk builders for people looking to gain weight. People who have recently suffered from illnesses, or are self-conscious about being frail or abnormally thin should welcome this news about sweet potatoes, since there are no associated side effects, which most of the synthetic bulk building dietary supplements have.
- Other Benefits: They are effective for helping people quit addictions like smoking, drinking and taking certain narcotics. They are good for the health of the arteries and veins, as they protect their walls against hardening. The high concentration of beta carotene (an alternative form of vitamin-A) and phosphorus are excellent for both ocular and cardiac health.
This recipe is from the Fixate cookbook. If you have some sweet potatoes handy, I’d throw them in the oven and make these tonight. ?
- Cut in thin round pieces
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
Bake at 200 degrees on parchment paper for 2-3 hours until crisp.
This mustard makes the perfect dipping sauce and is a “free food” on the meal plan. So go make up some baked sweet potatoes and do yourself a favor.
Nov 25 2015
Turkey Chili Recipe! My Family’s Favorite!
Turkey Chili Recipe
When the wind starts blowing, the weather turns grey and the rain starts pattering outside it is time to bring out my turkey chili recipe! ? ?☔??☁ It is easy for me to start packing on the pounds at this time of year, so having the right food in my refrigerator is so important. You can throw so many different nutrient rich ingredients into turkey chili. It also fills you up for a long time and my kids eat it, which is a major bonus!
Since it’s a busy day with kiddos and friends, a turkey chili recipe fits the bill for dinner! This turkey chili recipe is from the Fix Extreme cookbook and is delish! I love having a cookbook with so many healthy choices.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 med green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cans black or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes ( I like Muir Glen brand)
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs as garnish
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add turkey, onion, pepper, and garlic to cook.
- Once browned, add spices and stir for one minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm and for an extra ❤red container, top with Greek yogurt. Yum!
What are you eating tonight?
So, as you get prepared for the holidays and are looking to have a great leftover in the refrigerator, this turkey chili recipe is a great option. Let me know what you think when you try it out. And feel free to add any other items you want, as long as they are healthy! One last thing, if you have any homemade turkey chili recipe, that you love, feel free to share!?
Sep 05 2015
A Simple and Quick way to Prepare Roasted Asparagus!
Roasted Asparagus Tip!
Roasted Asparagus is one of our favorite veggies. If I don’t watch my plate, my daughter will sneak extra for herself! My husband wants to eat his portion as well as everyone else’s and our son eats it right away….it is magical!
I break off the hard ends, drizzle a little avocado oil on them and sprinkle Trader Joe’s garlic salt. I stick them right on the top rack of the oven and broil at 500 for about 5 minutes. You have to watch them. I heard it said once, “You don’t actually cook asparagus-you just threaten to cook it.” ? It really is the most simple meal. We have roasted asparagus at least once a week, preferably two to three times per week.
There are some great vitamins in roasted asparagus, and if the kids like it, I’ll take it! It is an excellent source of all kinds of vitamins and minerals. I could try to explain them all to you, but I would rather have you hear it from the Nutritionist, Cheryl Forberg RD. She is a New York Times best-selling author. She is also the nutritionist for The Biggest Loser. In an article “5 Powerful Health Benefits of Asparagus You Probably Didn’t Know”, she gives us a full breakdown of how great asparagus really is for us!
- It’s loaded with nutrients: Asparagus is a very good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium. Chromium is a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells.
- This herbaceous plant, along with avocado, kale and Brussels sprouts, is a particularly rich source of glutathione. This is a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and other harmful compounds like free radicals. This is why eating asparagus may help protect against and fight certain forms of cancer, such as bone, breast, colon, larynx and lung cancers.
- Asparagus is packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals. This, according to preliminary research, may help slow the aging process.
- Another anti-aging property of this delicious spring veggie is that it may help our brains fight cognitive decline. Like leafy greens, asparagus delivers folate, which works with vitamin B12, found in fish, poultry, meat and dairy, to help prevent cognitive impairment. In a study from Tufts University, older adults with healthy levels of folate and B12 performed better on a test of response speed and mental flexibility. (If you’re 50-plus, be sure you’re getting enough B12: your ability to absorb it decreases with age.)
- One more benefit of asparagus: It contains high levels of the amino acid asparagine, which serves as a natural diuretic, and increased urination not only releases fluid but helps rid the body of excess salts. This is especially beneficial for people who suffer from edema (an accumulation of fluids in the body’s tissues). It is also for those who have high blood pressure or other heart-related diseases.
So there you have it! If you weren’t eating roasted asparagus, or having your kids eat it, you now know what you’re missing. You now know how amazing it is for our bodies! So go have some amazing roasted asparagus. Put something in your body that will change you forever. Become more healthy. Roasted asparagus fit perfect in a green container if you are on the 21 Day Fix!
Jul 30 2015
Moderation!! It is so Important.
Moderation is such an important part of our lives. But I also know that hitting it hard for a short period of time is what pushes you out of where you are, to where you want to be. I did that after baby number two for about 4-5 months. I used the workout Turbofire with Chalene Johnson, who was perfect!
Adding a salad for lunch, daily, is my secret sauce, what keeps me in moderation. But after I hit my goal, I took a step back and told myself I would never quit. I would stick to a lifestyle change and not lose my progress or fall back to my old yo-yo patterns. I continually push play on these amazing workouts for women, and yes, that even means lifting weights! I love Body Beast! It has changed my body for the good, did not get me bulky….but definitely helped my curves! 😉
Speaking of Body Beast, I was super scared of lifting heavy weights. My husband had been bugging me for a year, before I finally decided to give it a try. It works. It literally is amazing. It is my go to in staying consistent. I use it as a fill in. It is just a great workout for any woman. I know why I was so scared. I thought I would bulk up, that I would get super big. Weight lifting for women is so very important. I recommend it in moderation. You don’t need to go crazy, but it should be added to your regimen of monthly workouts.
Going extreme all the time works for about 2% of people and really makes you run the risk of injury. Let’s be women of moderation. Let’s be women who never quit and who keep the healthy lifestyle going always! Push through, stay consistent, don’t give up! Who’s with me?!
Join me now!
(Only US and Canada as of now!)
Jun 02 2015
Fixate! Gluten Free/Vegan/Paleo Recipes!
*************Who needs new recipes?************
The Fixate cookbook is out today! It is finally here! Now you have so many more easy options for 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme meal plans! Get the 21 day fix results that you have been looking for! These two programs have changed the game for transformations that I am seeing. In just three weeks you get that jump start and really see changes. After 2 rounds you are very different and after 3 rounds, it is a whole new you! With Fixate, you now have the variety to keep it fresh and exciting. We all get bored with our food from time to time. This recipe book, really removes all excuses.
If you have the containers, the workout, the original recipes and Fixate, you are set! There is not a more simple way of weight loss workouts combined with healthy quick meals, that really change you from the inside out!
If you are like me and need fresh ideas all the time for your meals then Fixate is the perfect match for you. I’m getting mine today and you can message me really quick to get yours!! I’m hoping they don’t sell out!!
This is going to be great for Fall and give us fresh ideas for the kids lunches, too! Our team is running a free 5 day group to help us mom’s get clean eating tips so be looking for that as August approaches. Don’t wait any longer, just take the plunge!