Feb 21 2016
When to Drink Shakeology?!
Have You Ever Wondered, When to Drink Shakeology?
When to drink Shakeology? It is more of a common question than you might think. With a meal replacement like Shakeology, that has so many advantages, you want to make sure that you might be consuming it at the proper time so as to maximize those advantages! The true answer is, there is no correct time because it totally depends on your specific schedule and the needs you have in your nutrition.
Here Are Your Choices For When To Drink Shakeology
Most the time, t works good for me to drink Shakeology an hour and a half or so after breakfast. It offers me a ton of energy for the rest of the day. It allows me to be sustained till lunch and keeps my mind sharp. It’s essential to notice that though Shakeology is a meal substitute, you can actually drink it at any time outside of your three main meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). The comfort of the drink is what makes this meal alternative so efficient!
Shakeology is an outstanding meal replacement that’s made up of over 70+ superfood components to help you drop a few pounds, increase vitality and immunity, improve digestion and regularity, and it may well even lower your cholesterol. My husband’s cholesterol went from 230 to 150 in 6 months. That was also with working out consistently, as well as eating healthy in addition to Shakeology. It is not a magical pill or something that happens overnight. It is about consistency. It slowly helps in getting your body balanced.
is shakeology a good pre workout?
Pre Exercise – With regards to a pre workout, you COULD use Shakeology… but I do not. My husband has a scoop of it when he wakes up early. He has that, waits 15 minutes and then has Energize, the pre workout that both Matt and I have daily. It is great for energy and getting your body going, but truly isn’t made to be a pre workout.
Can Shakeology be a good Post Workout Recovery Drink?
Post Workout Recovery -Directly after my workout I used to have Shakeology, a banana and some L-Glutamine. That gave me protein, carbs and what not, but I definitely still get sore. What I now have, most recently is a Beachbody Performance Line supplement called Recover. I have this ready to go and take it as soon as I’m done with my workout. Then, about 30 minutes later, I will make my Shakeology. I hardly get sore when I have the combo. I will say, there are days that my workouts and the timing of Shakeology don’t coincide. I also share it with my kiddos. So if I can’t get my workout in before the kids wake up, I have it regardless for breakfast.
So it’s not so much of a problem of when to drink Shakeology, but what time of the day is the best time FOR YOU! It is a meal replacement, especially for a woman, so feel free to have it when you feel sapped for energy. I have some friends and clients that love it during the mid afternoon. That time of the day when you might start feeling lethargic. So, know that you are getting the most healthy meal of the day when you drink Shakeology!
Feb 11 2016
Shakeology – Why It’s So Convenient!
Shakeology – The Convenience Factor!
When I used to go on “diets” I, for some strange reason, gravitated towards tuna. In my mind it was one of my diet foods lol! Don’t even know where I got that idea and sure, tuna is fantastic in small amounts but not when you’re within 5 feet of any human…..mint please!! ??? Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with tuna, but it is mainly just a protein, with a few other benefits. But it was a “go-to”! Well, time teaches you lots of things and when the oh so wonderful Shakeology came into my life, I knew I was finally making a lifestyle change.
I no longer “diet” (thank God) but I do pay attention to what I put in my mouth. I read labels and stick to whole foods 80% of the time. My favorite thing about my Shakeology is that I can drink it in between spa clients, it keeps my tummy trim and I don’t smell like a fishery haha. I could have really used Shakeology when I was working at Nordstrom. I would be have days where I there was no possible way I was going to take a bite of anything. But having a healthy superfood shake…..would’ve been perfect.
Another huge convenience is with having kids! This superfood shake isn’t only good for adults….it is great for the kids as well. Since we have Vegan Shakeology, it really is a fool proof way to get them a daily dose of vitamins in a few short minutes. Then, they usually drink it while we are heading to an appointment or what not! So easy! I used to fool myself too. I would tell myself, “I’m giving my kids a totally balanced meal…everyday….”, ya right! There are so many times where in the busyness of life, the meals aren’t balanced. This allows me to pack in 70 different superfoods into my kiddos without them batting an eye, or complaining one bit. The Shakeology ingredients are no joke! See for yourself, take a look at them here! Oh and it is gluten-free. I always like to remind people of this.
My flavor of the day is vegan strawberry Shakeology with power greens, frozen blueberries, water and ice! Blend and go!! #366ers
Dec 21 2015
I love Shakeology and so do my Kids!
My daughter and son love Shakeology!
People have asked me many times if we have our kids drink Shakeology. The answer is a most definite “Yes”!!! We usually give them 1/3 of a scoop each, maybe a bit more and they get it in their own special cup! They love it and is getting all those super foods into their bodies at the ripe old age of 3 and 5!! We have actually been giving it to them since I started taking it, which was in March of 2012. So our daughter has been having it since before she was 2 and Jude has been having it since he could eat, on the fast track to superior health!!!
I will say this about Shakeology. It is safe for kids and adults alike. Some of the Shakeology ingredients might create allergic reactions, because there are of 70 superfoods in it. That should not scare you off. It has changed our family’s life. My husband as well as myself have seen some obvious outward examples. His hair stylist actually saw a drastic change in thickness and health in his hair. After six months she could not believe the change. He also has very brittle nails that crack very easily. After Shakeology, his nails never split anymore and grow like crazy. That is where I have seen a huge impact. Our hair grows like crazy! I have thick hair, but it never grew super fast. Now it grows ridiculously fast. Again, my hair stylist started drinking Shakeology after seeing the change in our hair! It’s crazy!
The other side of what has happened in our lives is our cyclical colds. In Washington state, where we live, the change in weather inevitably comes with sickness. It seems that no matter how careful we are, the colds enter our home! Why do I bring this up and how does it relate to Shakeology? Well since having Shakeology daily, when I get a cold, I find it is gone in only a couple of days and less extreme. My husband has definitely seen the change and our kids have been having it most their life and they hardly get sick at all! It is such a blessing.
I also know that Shakeology is not the fix all. Our overall diet and nutrition in general has become much more simple and healthy. We stick to a lot more raw foods, which doesn’t allow us to mess up and have a lot of processed food choices. We are learning about healthier alternatives all the time. It is amazing how many of our choices have come back and helped our body.
It is awesome to think that our family is truly on the path to leading our son and daughter on the right path of nutrition. Prior to 2012 that was not the case. Shakeology, Chalene Johnson with Turbofire and Piyo, Tony Horton’s P90X series, Shaun T with Insanity, Beachbody Ultimate Reset, Autumn Calabrese and 21 Day Fix and Fix Extreme, Body Beast and now Hammer and Chisel have all played a huge part in transforming my families habits. We are so much more active and my husband has loved the change in me!! We make health and nutrition a focal part of our life! We talk about it and don’t pretend to hide our food choices from our kids. They know what kale and spinach are, they know all about gluten-free, they know about moderation of sweets and junk food. As a family we want to do our part to end the trend of obesity. We do that by first living it out ourselves, then sharing with others ways it has worked for us and hopefully can work for them!!
This journey will not stop and it is exciting and new everyday Don’t cheat yourself, check out Shakeology!!
Nov 17 2015
Shakeology Ingredients – What is in Shakeology?
A Healthy Meal Replacement. This is what Beachbody claims with a nutritional dose of 70 plus ingredients, which include 23 vitamins and minerals. But, what about the Shakeology Ingredients? This Shakeology is more than just a “protein shake”. Throughout the following, we will take an in depth look at all of the Shakeology Ingredients listed on the bag, and examine what they do for you whether good or bad.
First, here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to understanding the Shakeology Ingredients:
- We will be using the nutrition label of the Chocolate Flavor Shakeology ingredients (click here to see the nutrition label). I want to use the “whey” based blend, because it is very popular and if you remove the “whey”, you have the vegan blend, with additional vegan proteins to replace the “whey”. (I personally have the vegan blend, click here to see the nutrition label.
- We are going to start with the ingredients after the typical nutrition facts (calories, carbs, protein, and vitamins). This means we will begin with Folic acid and Biotin. We will then dig into the Proprietary Superfoods, along with the “other ingredients” listed on the label.
Remember, this post is a little unique. Usually I am all about family, workouts, health and nutrition, goal setting, but I really want you to know about the Shakeology Ingredients. My goal is to help you understand what the ingredients are and how (and IF) they can benefit you. As you may know from some of my other posts I am gluten-free. I have been drinking Shakeology for over 3 years now, as well as my husband. I also had it throughout my pregnancy with my son daily. I proceeded to have it throughout the next two years while I was breastfeeding my son. Not once did I have any side effects that were negative. We now all have it daily. My husband, daughter, son and myself. So, let’s take a look and break down the Shakeology Ingredients.
Shakeology Ingredients – The daily Ingredients
These are sort of “daily ingredients”, they are still hard to understand. These are nutritional ingredients are so important to have every single day. You may have seen these before in other foods, but here is what they do and why they are important for your health.
- Folic Acid (50% of DV): This ingredient can also be referred to as Vitamin M or B9. Folic acid has many benefits including: Stroke reduction, Sperm Quality (in males, helps reduce chromosomal defects in sperm), Macular Degeneration (In Fact, a study was completed where women have reduced potential for degeneration by 34.7%).
- Biotin (30% of DV): Also know as Vitamin H. Biotin’s primary purpose is to help break down fatty cells and help metabolism (fat burner, which we all need!)
- Chromium (50% of DV): Chromium enhances the production of insulin in your body. Insulin helps with the metabolism and storage of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in your body. This in turn can help regulate potential for diabetes and speed up that metabolism.
- Molybdenum (40% of DV): Similar to phosphorus, this ingredient helps strengthen tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. A great reason to have this ingredient in your kids diet as well!
- Pantothenic acid (50% of DV): This ingredient (Vitamin B5) helps with oxygen utilization efficiency. What does that mean? It helps fuel oxygen to your muscles, which reduces muscle soreness and aches.
- Zinc (40% of DV): this is a great ingredient and supplement you should always have. Zinc is beneficial for your immune system. Better than that, it helps decrease the acceleration of skin and muscle aging. Not only that, it can be beneficial for your digestive trac (with proven abilities to reduce and eliminate diarrhea episodes, according to Bhutta, 2000).
- Phosphorous (25% of DV): Having this ingredient daily can help strengthen tooth enamel. This leads to stronger teeth and prevention of early tooth decay.
- Iodine (35% of DV): This ingredient is widely known to help with your thyroid. But not only that, iodine is beneficial for breast, stomach, brain, and other important tissues. Not having enough (or having TOO much) can cause problems for these vital tissues (source here).
- Magnesium (20% of DV): magnesium helps regulates blood sugar, and keeps heart rhythm running, strong bones, and your immune system in check.
- Copper (40% of DV): not having enough copper in your diet can lead towards deficiencies such as osteoporosis, infections, and glucose problems. Copper ingests into your liver and spreads through your bloodstream to regulate your blood sugar and benefit your bones and glucose levels significantly.
- Manganese (100% of DV): one of the awesome Shakeology ingredients that helps your body properly digest and collaborate with other ingredients like zinc, copper, and iron better. Manganese has been seen helping treat things like: diabetes, Schizophrenics, Rheumatoid arthritis, epilepsy, asthma, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, (find out more here). A powerful ingredient that gives you 100% of your daily value in one serving of Shakeology.
As you can see, even the “daily” foundation of Shakeology Ingredients are very much needed, fast food won’t get you those! So the big question is: Why can’t we just eat healthy and get these? You can! The only thing you should consider is the price. To match the serving of all of these ingredients in everyday food will cost you more than a $4.33 serving of Shakeology.
Next we will explore the Best Superfoods. We will delve deeper into the specific Proprietary Shakeology ingredients.
Shakeology Ingredients – The Best Superfoods
- Proprietary Protein Blend: Proteins are important for mental clarity, lean muscle building, improving skin and hair, and reducing cravings. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Brown Rice, Pea.
- Proprietary Super-Fruit/Antioxidant Blend: promotes antioxidant support for a healthy immune system, heart, and optimal blood pressure. The proprietary superfoods in this blend include: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Lun Hao Guo, Pomegranate, Rose Hips.
- Proprietary Super-Green/Phytonutrient Blend: This is an interesting blend of the Shakeology ingredients, mainly because of what it can do. It detoxifies! The liver, kidneys, and blood get detoxification benefits that restore health and vitality. Superfoods in this blend include: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass.
- Proprietary Adaptogen Blend: this helps protect the body from stress, supports the immune system, and balances the endocrine system. Superfoods that support this blend include: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Schisandra, Tulsi (Holy Basil).
- Proprietary Pre- and Probiotic/Digestive Enzyme Blend: helps increase nutrition absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion. Superfoods in this blend include: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain.
Shakeology Ingredients – The “Other” Ingredients
Ingredients to any foods are good to look at on a normal basis. You never know what lies beneath until you turn over to the nutrition label and look at the bottom. Let’s look at the “other” ingredients listed on the Shakeology bag, and what they mean, and if they are bad for you.
- Natural Sweetener Blend (Non-GMO Fructose, Stevia): this is where the 6 grams of sugar in each serving come from. But unlike other “diet” and health shakes that used the cursed “Aspartame”, Shakeology has NO aspartame and uses Stevia. Stevia is found in sunflower family of sweetleaf and sugarleaf. The sweetness ends up being 300 times more sweet than artificial flavorings. The best part is, it controls diet by giving you less carbs and less chance of disease and study-proven cancer like Aspartame.
- Natural Chocolate Flavor: this means that the flavor of chocolate is derived from a cacao plant, which produces natural cocoa.
- Xanthan Gum: this ingredient is in a good number of food we eat (along with Guar Gum). This is basically a laxitive ingredient that helps with food thickening. Find out more about this ingredient here.
- Guar Gum: according to Wikipedia, this gum can help with digestion and regularity. It has a significant amount of soluble fiber which helps promote this effort, and is used for most foods to thicken appearance. Again, I couldn’t find anything too risky on this ingredient either.
Shakeology Ingredients – Good or Bad?
So here we are. You have now been given a pretty sufficient breakdown of the Shakeology Ingredients. They are not perfect as is nothing. As a gluten-free mom of two, this is the best meal replacement supplement I have found. I stand by it, not just because I am a coach, but because my family has seen so many benefits over the last 3 years. Being gluten-free has gotten easier as our culture has found so many allergies relating to it, Shakeology has never affected me negatively.
It is gluten-free, making it the best possible option for my entire family. Personally, we prefer the Vegan Chocolate Shakeology or the Tropical Vegan Shakeology. I prefer to get my animal based protien through other sources than whey. This is my personal opinion only.
Getting all of these ingredients in your daily diet would cost you a whole lot of money. It would be incredibly expensive because many of the items must be bought in bulk and you would have to buy them in their perishable form. By going through and finding each of the 70 plus ingredients it would be around $1256.40 per month, at $41.88 per day. One serving of Shakeology is around $4.33 or $129.95 per month.
If you are like me and are serious about your health, take the first step and talk with me. You do not do this on your own. I am a fitness coach, a person that genuinely loves helping others. I want you to reach your goals. I want to walk along side you through the good and the bad. So, take the first step and fill out some basic info here, and let’s begin this incredible journey towards getting in the best shape of our lives!