Dec 17 2015
Elderberry syrup, also known as sambucus, is here to the rescue!
Finally made a big batch of elderberry syrup! It’s a great preventative for colds and flus. Sambucus Nigra, which is the most common type of eldeberry, it enhances the immune system and works with vitamin C to fight viruses. You can buy it or make it different ways, this is the recipe from my doctor.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
- 1/2 cup dried organic elderberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 inch fresh ginger
1. Simmer berries and fresh ginger (peeled and cut into small pieces) over low heat in 3 cups of water for 20 minutes.
2. Mash berries and strain liquid off
3. Place infusion back on the stove and simmer over low heat until it reduces to 1 cup
4. Add honey and brandy
5. Write date on jar as it lasts for 6 weeks